Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Stacy: Day 5 - "Hi, COWS!"

Well, I'm going to make this a short entry.  I mean, come on!  I'm the only one of us who has consistently blogged... 1) It wasn't even my idea, 2) I hate journaling with a passion.

Although, I can't exactly blame The Others.  Kim is tired from being behind the wheel all day, we'e had bad Wi-Fi several nights in a row, and, on average, we don't arrive at the hotel until 11:15pm.  By the time we check in and get settled (unpacking and then showers), it's 1am.  Well, I'm usually the last one in the shower.  So, they get to nod off before I do.

Anyway.  About today:  it was mostly a driving day, but we had some really neat things.




We started off with another light house.  All I remember is that it is one of the most photographed ight houses in the world, and that the shoreline is absolutely breathtaking.  It was cold and drizzly when we got there (again, grateful for the coats), and the fog horn was going!

Then, we visited the Desert of Maine.  That was pretty neat!  The sand originated from a mile-high glacier melting and grinding all the rocks in its path to the ultra-fine, Mica-laden sand you see today.  It accumulated a good amount of topsoil over the epochs, and around the 1700s, a family began to farm it with the same farming practices (I believe) that later brought on the Dust Bowl.  It was just fun.  Plus, there was a 9-hole disc golf course there!  No, I didn't play.  No time!!!



We then drove through many little Maine towns.  We saw belted cows, absolutely beautiful Maine-architectured cottages, a really neat suspension bridge lit up at night (with an awesome shadow on the clouds--which my phone camera is not capable of catching), and did a lot of geo-caching.



Maybe someone else will fill in with more info on today.  ;o)

~Signing Off~

No comments:

Post a Comment